Many product engineering firms consider product development as their core competency and therefore, the trend of outsourcing product development is subsequently marking its mark in this industry. While outsourcing offers numerous advantages including improved processes, faster market time, expanded talent pools, companies need to follow the best approach in stages to begin outsourcing product development to avoid compromising expected outcomes.
But how you can assure if your company actually needs to initiate outsourcing their core activities? or how could you minimize the risks of failing your decisions? Simply, the idea of building new products or transforming existing one requires new platforms, new technologies, resources, expertise and more, but executing this idea could be challenging especially when you lack in it. External partners not only accelerate product development but also ensure that your software product is accessible on every platform.
Sometimes, managers become so engaged in fulfilling user’s feature requests that they overlook building core parts of the products. Also, chances are, you are running short on finances to build web, Android and iOS applications for your product. In either scenario, outsourced vendor significantly helps to remove obstacles you are facing in product release. A reliable partner helps you to connect the dots by identifying your project requirements and focusing on delivering seamless user experience. Let’s dig deep to evaluate the requirements of outsourcing product development:
Analyzing project requirements can de-risk the decision of OPD
Deciding on outsourcing product development requires you analyzing few things:
- If the outsourcing is worth to choose considering all the benefits and pitfalls.
- If you are planning to expand your services.
- If you are want to develop a new product or
- If you are planning to move to a new domain/new industry
Discover your product’s purpose, targeted audience and the features you want to add in your product. With having a clear picture, surely you can make a better decision for investing in outsourced product development services.
Let’s consider this. Suppose your end goal is to develop two products, out of which you want one web product to be developed and maintained in some legacy code language and another product to be developed with modern coding language. What do you think which one would be the best to outsource? Clearly, the one with modern coding language, as it will take less time for outsourced partners to become accustomed to your system and requirements.
Hence, it is clear that analyzing project requirements can significantly help you to make a right choice. In case, you find outsourcing as a strategic tool for your product development project, don’t forget to keep your eye on the enlisted checklist to ensure having a successful engagement with your partner :
- Always communicate your goals and objectives clearly to your partner. Ensure that you bring all designs and design files to the table prior to signing any contract with the outsourced partner. Also, check if your partner will provide product maintenance and support services after delivering the project successfully. This is critically important in terms of attaining the detailed knowledge about the product and its features.
- Since in offshore partnership models, development teams work from different locations, language, cultural and time differences can make it difficult to coordinate with them. Therefore, search out the partners who are compatible with your teams.
- Don’t fall victim of gratuitous engineering offers. Though initially it may seem to cost less, it could fail to deliver expected product designs.
- Always do your homework and shortlist potential partners based on your research. Visit them, look out their previous work and capabilities prior to joining hands with them.